Monday, July 1, 2013

Avoiding The Vice of Vanity


I was asked by an ecclesiastical leader to give a lesson on vanity, and where our priorities really lie in life. I don’t think I was especially qualified in this subject matter, but as always I found that the teacher is often the greatest beneficiary. I also found that my lesson plan was full of far more gems and platitudinous statements than I had time to share. Also, my audience was under 25 people. So, I decided to expound a little bit here, for we all have bouts with pride and vanity.

Stephen LaMarche defines vanity as the excessive belief in one’s own abilities or attractiveness to others. I personally am a huge advocate of personal confidence. I think it is important to believe in yourself and to seek to be attractive to the opposite sex. The tricky part is avoiding the excess, being extremely confident without engaging in obsession. Essentially the question is, how can we fastidiously maintain the perfect mustache without thinking that our debonair facial hair is the reason we are awesome, and perhaps better than others? Or adversely, how can someone painstakingly care for their skin with expensive oils and lotions without assuming their soft and luscious skin is the reason for the putative greatness? I think in one form or another we all struggle with this. Clearly humility is the anecdote, but this is does not make it an easy solution, just a simple one. C.S. Lewis so wisely posited that, “Humility is not thinking less of yourself, it’s thinking of yourself less.” There is nothing wrong with caring about our appearance or how others view us. We just want to be cautious, so that we do not fall into the same trap as Narcissus.

Narcisuss is a figure in Greek mythology, and the origin of the word narcissism- the fixation with oneself. Let us recount the tragic story of the beautiful Narcisuss. He was a hunter well known for his aesthetic appeal and pride. It was even said that he disdained those who loved him. The goddess Nemesis saw that Narcisuss was exceptionally proud and lured him to a pool where he saw his own reflection in the water and fell in love with it, not realizing it was nearly an image. Unable to leave the beauty of his own reflection, poor narcissistic Narcisuss perished. Much can be learned from the absurd vainglory of this individual. Obviously none of us are going to be so enthralled with our own image in a mirror that we fall in love with what we see, and refuse to leave the bathroom. Although what a great opportunity for some selfies. But at times we don’t act all that different from our troubled Narcissus.
With the advent of various social media it is very easy to become obsessed with how good we apparently look. If we wake up, put on a pair of skinny jeans and come to the realization that we look amazing, there are a dozen ways to share your prodigious beauty with others. You can post a picture of yourself on Instagram, Facebook and Twitter, then maybe post a small video of yourself on Vine or Youtube, then send out some mass Snapchats and possibly send a slew of selfies to unsuspecting texters. And why do we do this? Because we become obsessed with ourselves and with the opinion of others. We become so wrapped up in people validating how attractive or how successful we are.

I personally love photographs and social media. And I don’t think there is anything wrong with feeling like a boss and flaunting it a little bit from time to time. I just think we need to be careful, so that we do not become slaves to ourselves. There are so many things in this world that just will not matter at the end of days. A girl in the Sunday school class I taught made an excellent point as to what really is important. She reminded us that one day we will stand before God at the judgment seat, and others we came across in this life will stand as witnesses against us for better or for worse. She said, do you really want someone saying, “Well I don’t know how important her family was to her, or how kind she was, but she sure always looked pretty.” What we think is so crucial to our existence truly is often very secondary and trivial in the grand scheme of things. I think looking good, staying fit, and being well liked are moderately important. But what really matters to me is my family, my relationships and my faith, things that well carry on with me into the vast eternities. C.S. Lewis said that, “Christianity, if false, if of no importance, and if true, of infinite importance. The only thing it cannot be is moderately important.” So let us not waste our days pining over things of moderate importance. Let us obsess with and yearn for things of infinite importance.

3 comments:

  1. My writing skills are much better than my computer skills.I will try to break this up in paragraphs and a larger font soon. Please tell me what you think, and if you enjoyed it, show it to someone else!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was a good one! I loved your twice quoting of C. S. Lewis. I've been reading Neal A. Maxwell lately and he cites him quite often. Love it.
    Coincidentally, I've been pondering about the subject of vanity lately, especially the aspects of it pertaining to our achievements, our knowledge, our possessions, and even our faithfulness. "Ego trips are almost always made on someone else's expense," says Elder Maxwell, and I couldn't agree more. I've come to the realization that when I'm too concerned with how pretty I look, how neat my singing is, how well I'm doing at attending the temple, how much I know on a certain subject, and so forth, I have a tendency to (maybe) unconsciously placing myself above others, because I'm tacitly comparing myself with them. As you said that C. S. Lewis said, although humility may be a simple solution, it is definitely not easy to get there.
    Anyway, I believe that, just as with many other things in life, if we constantly remind ourselves of certain truths and strive to apply them, eventually they will come out naturally.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Being vain is a matter of priorities and patience. If you have correctly set your priorities as God would have you set them, then the choice to purchase something to receive the approval of others wouldn't happen. A simple example of this would be receiving a paycheck and looking to priority #1 first, God. If you have already returned 10% of God's gift to you then you can proceed to priority #2, Family. If you have routed the predetermined dollar amount to the necessary things in order to provide or prepare for your family and its return to the Celestial Kingdom then you can move on to priority #3, #4 and so on. Priorities #3 and on will be up to you and may be different on an individual/family basis. It is also worth noting that within priorities, there are sub-priorities. An example of this would be within priority #2 Family, there are several sub-priorities, such as #1 paying debts, #2 taking care of bills, #3 adding the predetermined amount to savings and college funds.

    Interestingly enough, computers use priorities and cannot deviate from their predetermined list of priorities. Think of it as a road that you are traveling down, and if you come to the first fork in the road, a computer has to complete priority #1 before it can move on to #2. Robotic is the very plan that Satan had for the children of the Almighty. Such a plan would not allow for choices to be made. As humans we do and will often make mistakes that we need to learn from, such as going with priority #5 before taking care of priority #1. Doing this, putting things before God and out of the order he would have us execute is what I believe vanity is.

    Also, to complete my thought. I mentioned that not being vain is a matter of prioritizing and also a matter of patience. The reason that I mention patience is that often taking a priority lower on our list, will being a quicker reward. Ultimately there are a lot of choices that we must make in this life and we make them all without immediately receiving our consequences. Have faith in God and in his plan, be patient with your choices and continue to maintain your prioritize in the order that you and Heavenly Father have agreed on. If you find your priorities mixed up, have a self-intervention, writing things down and ordering them always seems to help. Carry around a note card with your list of priorities or make them a wallpaper on your smartphone. If you keep them ever present they will form a pathway of choices in your mind that are not forced as Satan would have, but are actual choices made by you.

    "The demands and challenges of our day are great, but wisdom and order help us maintain our perspective. That perspective, in turn, allows us to do all things in "wisdom and order," that thereby we might "win the prize" (Mosiah 4:27), even exaltation and eternal life with those we have loved and with those we have served." - Neal A. Maxwell (Wisdom and Order)

    http://emp.byui.edu/SATTERFIELDB/Talks/Priorities/WisdomOrderNAM.htm

    ReplyDelete